Back at the Statehouse

This week I started back at the Statehouse. It's been 7 months since I first started working at the Statehouse. The building is pretty damn impressive. When I catch my first glimpse each day, I take a deep breath and think "wow, I get to work here". It really does feel like a privilege.

One of the neatest things about the Statehouse is that its a hub of activity. Unexpected things happen all the time. On a usual day, I'll leave via the front entrance and be the only person walking down the front steps of the Statehouse. One day last spring, I stepped outside and there were 5,000 teachers holding a rally. Another day I walked through the rotunda and found a mock coffin of Abraham Lincoln. Perhaps the craziest happening was when civil war re-enactors fired cannons and I panicked, thinking it was a terrorist attack. I have yet to live that one down...

This fall I'm once again working as a staffer in the Ohio Senate. Missing the summer, I really feel like I missed a lot. I read the paper every day and followed all the statewide happenings, but I still felt out of the loop. Now that I'm back in the loop, expect more posts about political issues and happenings.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home