Cleveland Ethnics
Growing up in Cleveland, my friend Alex and I have grown to associate ethnic groups with certain areas of Cleveland. At Ohio State, we have been exposed to lots of other people from Cleveland and generally, our experiences confirm the stereotypes of our youth. We've also found that other Cleveland kids tend to share our predispositions.
Until recently, we had no empirical evidence to support this Cleveland lore. That is no longer the case. By breaking down census data by zip code via MLA.org's Language Map, we can isolate how many people speak a language in each area of Cleveland. We can now provide scientific evidence identifying where different ethnic groups live in Greater Cleveland.

The East Side is full of Italians...

And Russians too.

A search for Hebrew speakers confirms the obvious about Beachwood and Shaker.

Se hable espanol en Lorain, Old Brooklyn, y Painesville.

Slavic Village and Parma are full of Poles.

Cleveland is also full of Slavs. Unfortunately the census tracks "Serbo-Croatian" and does not distinguish between the two dialects. Regardless, everyone knows Parma is home to the Serbs while Eastlake is home to the Croatians. It's probably a good thing that the valley separates the two.

What language break down is this?
Stumped?
This map confirms two things:
(1) Geauga County is full of Amish folks
(2) Despite shunning indoor plumbing, electricity, and cars, Amish folks are apparently down with taking the Census.
(And for the city slickers of cyberspace who couldn't figure this one out, Amish folks speak a dialect of German)

13 Comments:
Does anyone know if language data is available for past censuses? It would be neat to track Cleveland languages through the decades.
Without resorting to any cheap jokes, and as much as there can be a generally accepted spelling of any slur, I think the usual spelling is "Polack."
Though this page does cite your spelling as an alternate as well:
http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/polack.htm
(hey, what can I say? I'm picky...)
Also, I'm pretty amazed how low the Hungarian speakers' count is, knowing how many there are in Cleveland. I clicked through: it claims only 1,000-4,999 in Cuyahoga County.
That map's going to distract me all day! Interesting post...
Polack... duly noted.
We were surprised by the low Hungarian count too. Alex and I are both Hungarian. Alex knows a little Hungarian but he's third generation. I'm 5th generation so family fluency in the native language faded long before I was born.
Excellent blog. You made my day with this sentence.
Amish folks are apparently down with taking the Census.
Nice stuff.
I think you missed some other interesting languages. I'd also like to point out that the West Side French are isolated in Lakewood. What's that about?
MLA Data Center Results Back to Data Center
MLA.org
Close window and return to map
MLA.org
Print page Print Map
Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Show age breakdown
Sort alphabetically
Language Total
English 1,158,729
All languages other than English combined 144,337
Spanish or Spanish Creole 41,288
Other Slavic languages 10,077
Italian 8,720
Arabic 8,392
German 8,175
Polish 8,150
Russian 7,569
Other Indo-European languages 5,752
French (incl. Patois, Cajun) 5,698
Serbo-Croatian 5,575
Chinese 5,321
Hungarian 4,820
Greek 3,424
Other Indic languages 2,649
Tagalog 2,096
Hindi 1,990
Vietnamese 1,894
Other Asian languages 1,696
Korean 1,432
Hebrew 1,278
African languages 1,184
Japanese 1,023
Yiddish 1,014
Gujarathi 906
Urdu 687
Persian 665
Mon-Khmer, Cambodian 492
Other West Germanic languages 446
Portuguese or Portuguese Creole 390
Other Pacific Island languages 364
Thai 320
Scandinavian languages 288
Other and unspecified languages 156
Laotian 131
Armenian 111
French Creole 79
Other Native North American languages 71
Navajo 7
Miao, Hmong 7
Total: 1,303,066
< Back to Data Center
Fascinating. Your comment on the Spanish speakers is se habla wherever they live. But do you have any idea of country of origin? Spaniards versus Mexican versus South American?
I don't know much about Lorain or Old Brooklyn, but I've heard many Painesville Hispanics are from the state of Guanajuato in Mexico.
I've read that the South American portion of the Hispanic population is more toward the Lorain neighborhood. They hold the Puerto-Rican Festival in the Clark-25th neighborhood, so that would be my guess for that area up toward Old Brooklyn.
Very interesting! I guess stereotypes have to start somewhere.
Out here in Lorain, I'd have to guess Puerto Ricans are our biggest group of Spanish-speakers, probably followed by Mexicans and then others. Of course we are the International City, so we have lots of every nationality. In fact, you should swing by for the International Festival next June. Lots of great food, and one thing that transcends all nationalities: beer!
Well done!
[url=http://lxmfolix.com/ksap/rhda.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hiknmcvv.com/bbwe/nkdw.html]Cool site[/url]
Good design!
My homepage | Please visit
Well done!
http://lxmfolix.com/ksap/rhda.html | http://tvsfnhzs.com/tpxw/spgx.html
I am looking for scandinavians to polish up my Norwegian, do you uguys have any idea where they are? Adam (Persian)
Post a Comment
<< Home